'Now Your Turn, Glasgow': An oral history of Easterhouse
(Easterhouse, Glasgow, Scotland)
The National Youth Theatre works at Platform at the Bridge in Easterhouse with young people aged 14-25. In the summer of 2014 these young people joined forces with National Youth Theatre actors from across the UK in welcoming athletes from all over the world to the Commonwealth Games Athletes’ Village. As a way of making material for the show we applied for Heritage Lottery Fund money to carry out our Easterhouse Oral History Project (Now Your Turn, Glasgow). We recorded 32 oral histories from people living in the Greater Easterhouse area. We also made nine short video portraits based on people from our interviews with filmmaker Chris Leslie. The young people were so enthusiastic about the project, and the material we gathered was so rich that we applied for further Heritage Lottery Fund money to produce a play based on the oral histories, written by myself and performed by the young people at Platform.
Project Manager/ Author
National Youth Theatre
Oral History Research & Training Consultancy
Oral history heritage professionals serving Scotland and the UK
- 'Patterton WWII: A POW Camp and its Neighbours'
- 'Nitshill Memories'
- 'Reclaiming Our Heritage'
- 'Sandend Beach - Memories and Concerns'
- 'Twechar: An oral history of a pit village'
- 'Glasgow's African Tales'
- 'Hellenic Glasgow - an oral history'
- 'Back to the Future, West Lothian!'
- Govan Fair's 'Treasures in our Midst'
- Pennylands Camp 22 - Dumfries House Estate
- Macduff Revival
- Dunoon & Cowal Oral History Project
- 'Everyday People: Untold Stories'
- John Gray Centre, Haddington
- Perth Theatre Heritage Project
- Oral History at The Marie Trust
- ‘Securing the Memories’ of Gairloch Parish
- 'CELEBRATE: LGBT Cumbria'
- 'Paisley's Enchanted Threads'
- 'She Settles in the Shields'
- 'Holy Loch Heritage - the American Presence'
- 'Gie’s Peace'
- 'Jeely Jars and Seeing Stars': Glasgow’s Love Affair with the Movies
- 'An Oral History of Paisley's Thread Mills'
- 'East Dunbartonshire's War: WWI'
- 'Now Your Turn, Glasgow': An oral history of Easterhouse
- Glasgow Theatre Royal: 'An Oral History'
- 'Govanhill People's History'
- 'Diving for Pearls'
- 'Dunfermline's Museum & Art Gallery Project - "Speaking Of..." '
- 'Walking Back to the Future'