Many thanks to IALHI for inviting me to deliver a keynote lecture at the 46th Annual Conference, held at The National Library of Scotland! Thanks also to the wonderful organisational skills of Dr Maria Castrillo, who ensured that the four day conference was a resounding success! I hope to see you all again very soon! Sue
Global Connections in Labour History:
Collecting and Discovering Migrant Workers’ Heritage
The International Association of Labour History Institutions (IALHI) brings together archives, libraries, documentation centres, museums and research institutions specializing in the history and theory of the labour movement from all over the world.
The 46th annual conference of the International Association of Labour History Institutions (IALHI) will take place this year at the National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, from 16 to 19 September.
Traditionally, analogue archival sources, audio and film recordings have been used to document the heritage of migrant workers and their involvement in the labour movement. However, the emergence of new digital technologies and platforms, including the web and social media, presents new and innovative opportunities for curators, librarians and archivists to collect, share and disseminate new and fresh material by engaging directly with the principal actors.
The conference will offer an open forum to discuss and explore the links between collections and research, as well as current methodologies, approaches and challenges to curating and making accessible collections relating to this significant aspect of contemporary social history.
This conference is supported by the Scottish Labour History Society (http://www.scottishlabourhistory.org.uk/)
Conference Programme and Registration
Oral History Research & Training Consultancy
Oral history heritage professionals serving Scotland and the UK
- Archaeology Dig Success!
- Archaeology Dig!
- An Oral History of a Scottish Pit Village - UPDATE
- Funding Training Opportunities - early 2017!
- Cumnock History Group
- 'Twechar Pit Village' - Youth Oral History Programme
- Twechar Volunteer Opportunities
- Oral History in Largs!
- 'Twechar: An oral history of a pit village'
- Resourcing Scotland's Heritage - Inspiring Fundraising Training
- Oral History in Dunoon
- HLF praise our 'Everyday People' film!
- Inverclyde Schools Oral History Programme
- Another Film Success!
- Isaro. Everyday People: Untold Stories - Oral History Training
- John Gray Centre, Haddington
- Perth Theatre Heritage Project
- The Marie Trust
- FUNDRAISING WORKSHOPS
- IALHI: Migrant Labour History Conference- Oral History
- Celebrate LGBT Cumbria Oral History Training
- Securing the memories of Gairloch Parish Oral History Training
- 'War, Work and Disability: 1939-1950' - Oral History
- 'Glasgow's African Tales'